For some reason I got it into my head that I wanted to attempt a watercolour painting where you could see the individual brushstrokes in layers, on top of each other. Maybe it was the influence of the nice effects from the overlapping linocut patterns that have been going round in the back of my mind.
I chose a semi random photo of a robin to try this out since it’s a wintry, Christmas theme and I also thought this could work well for painting feathers. This is the result and I’m fairly happy; it does represent feathers very well. The paper I used is not great for painting which made the background a struggle but I’m trying to use up an almost full sketchbook so I’ll persevere with it a little longer. I’m not sure how well this style would work for something that doesn’t naturally form into strokes (i.e. not feathers). I’m tempted to try a building or urban scene next.